Sunday, November 1, 2009

Summer Sessions

Hello all.

Many apologies for the rather lame last blog. I felt I owed you an update, but if I am ever in such a predicament where nothing has happened again, I shall be sure to comment upon the weather and perhaps shed light onto some of the strange differences between English and Australian cricket (not least of which, too much cricket was lost last year to heat so the cancellation rule has changed to 42 degrees Celsius).

This afternoon was a very pleasant one, indeed an extremely pleasant one. After being told by Frankie (one of the tutors) about a lovely pub up in the hills that just so happens to serve one of, arguably, the top three pints of ale available to man, we made our mission to head up there one afternoon. So, with Ciaran, Jess and Adelle in tow, we headed up to the hills. After a thoroughly enjoyable pint of Bombardier in the glorious spring sunshine, we then headed to the Bird in Hand winery for some wine tasting. A fantastic way to while away a glorious afternoon in Adelaide. In fact, life cannot get much better!

I have the dubious honour next week of, effectively, running the PE department whilst Sean is away, I will be sorting all the fixtures and faxes and all that entails. Should be an interesting one! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes! The week after that, before which I shall hopefully have updated this again, Ross and I have been asked to play in the Staff vs. 1st XI soccer fixture!

As for the cricket, we demolished our opposition yesterday - in what was meant to be an eighty overs game, we bowled our opposition out for 37 and proceeded to knock off 200 in a mere 49 overs. Next week we'll whack them in to bat again and see if we can win outright. Meanwhile, my 9 B side have a 100% record, recording their third win of the season yesterday. With two matches (a 'two-dayer' and a 'one-dayer') left, things are looking good!

So life here is well, though psychologically I am struggling with 36 degree heat in November, and have realised just how much I miss rugby. I am going to make full use of being British in the next month by rooting for all four teams in what I am tipping to be a thoroughly disappointing Grand-Slam tour for the Wallabies (though I admit, with a slight twinge of guilt, if I were a betting man, I would put money on the Scottish game being a low scoring and boring success for the Aussies).

Lastly, please check out our "Mo-vember" page. Despite the potential likeness to the title of a dodgy 70's B movie (at least that's what Dad reckons), it is for a great cause and something really worth while, though I doubt my attempts will be too good! Anything that could be spared would be much appreciated!

au.movember.com/mospace/94191 (I'll be plugging this all throughout Mo-vember!)




2 comments:

  1. Who was the unlucky person to be driving!!!
    Sounds like all is good :o) M xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And not even a comment after the 'kicking' by Oz over the weekend! Surely someone was gloating ...

    ReplyDelete