Tuesday, July 28, 2009

28th July

So... I'm coming to the end of my first proper day as a Gappy here. About ten minutes left in the first duty of the day which has passed uneventfully. Just a bit of Facebook, getting my news fix on BBC Online, and trying to keep warm.

The weather has been a serious issue for me. In fact it has been rather comforting to know that Australians don't have perma-tans and blonde hair (at least not all of them). They are however, all sports mad. My attempts at learning to kick a "footy" are improving and I'll hopefully get a game for Saints 3rd XVIII soon! I'm thoroughly enjoying playing Rugby (despite a loss on Saturday we're still on track for making the Semi's of the U-18 League), and the weather has meant a gradual introduction. Although blazing heat and hard ground on Saturday reminded me where I am.

Life here really is incredibly chilled out though. No pressure to do anything, organisation is a trait that has been greeted by my flatmates with bemusement (yes, they think that I am organised) and everyone, without exception has been extra-ordinarily welcoming and kind. I do need a coffee machine though - its getting tough. Though there are some nice coffee shops in town, including a remarkably good chain called Cibo, the walk in this weather is something best saved for the pubs in the evening. Of which there are many, although you will be disappointed to know I lost the inaugral Monday Night Pool at the Hackney against Ross.

Two things to finish this collection of thoughts as darkness (and as I possibly hear a roll of thunder) approaches:
  1. I'm about to ring a very cool bell.
  2. As tea time approaches I'm conscious that its only breakfast back home and I'll be eating my meal the other way up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment