Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Two weeks of many, many interesting events, continued...

Week Two:

Despite a minor drama involving Tom being breatho-ed (because his Dad's car is not registered as being on a provisional license...), I got to the airport in time for my flight up to Alice Springs. After a Coffee and a Sfogliatelle, it was on to the plane. After a quiet flight reading Barack Obama's "The Audacity of Hope" and sleeping, I touched down in Alice Springs. The jumper was off, expecting scorching outback heat, but was nearly straight back on - it was no where near as hot as I thought it would be! After grabbing my luggage, it was on to the airport shuttle and a short hop to the Heavitree Gap Outback Lodge. After a chill by the freezing pool, a bit more reading and a few piccies of the Wallabies at sunset, I headed up to the Tavern to listen to Chris Callaghan, and have a look at Rex's Reptiles, all whilst enjoying a ten dollar roast (which included roast camel...) and a few "imperial pints" (in Adelaide a "pint" is only 350 mls!).

I headed to bed early, in anticipation of a quarter to six pick up! An Iced Coffee and an Uncle Toby's bar which I had got at the supermarket the day before made it that but easier though! After meeting Lisa, our tour guide, and picking up the rest of the group, we headed to the Adventure Tours office in Alice Springs to pay our Park Entry and sort out sleeping bags and what not!

The three days that ensued are well and truly some of the most memorable of my life and ones that I shall never forget. Impossibly, I feel that it is hard for words to do justice to! But I'll give it a go!

After a bit of an epic journey, in which I rode a camel and nearly got fooled at "Fooluru", we arrived at our campsite in Yulara, very near to Uluru. After lunch we took a short drive to Kata Tjuta. This was absolutely stunning. A sacred Aboriginal Men's Shrine, it is still used for initiation ceremonies. For this reason, we are only allowed on the pathway. It is still stunning. The "many heads" - the literal translation, relating to the Anangu's creation stories - tower in the desert and, in my opinion, are far more dramatic and impressive than Uluru. Having said that, after our walk that afternoon we drove back to Uluru for a true "once-in-a-lifetime" moment: champagne and a beer at sunset in the middle of the outback with "The Rock" in the background.

Wow.

That night, too, was pretty cool. After Kangaroo steaks and Camel sausages, it was marshmallows on the campfire before we went to sleep in swag (an Australian institution that was actually invented by a German) under the most incredible night sky.

It was another early start so we could get to one of the most impressive sunrises I have seen. The stars were even better when we woke up, and the drive across to Uluru, after Vegemite on toast (see here for details on "the Vegemite scandal" that is threatening to destroy the brand....) was definitely worth it. Though I'm not quite sure it actually did turn pink. After a nice stroll round the base (not only was the climb shut, but given the cultural and religious significance, not to mention a bad dream the night before, I didn't really want to. Plus, Lisa did a great sell that we shouldn't!), which included some amazing rock paintings, basic geology lessons and some fascinating Anangu creation stories, it was back to the campsite to pack up, have a quick swim and head to King's Canyon (named after a bloke with the surname King, not the King).

Another sunset and another night under the stars. Just as stunning, though with less viewing owing to tiredness! Another early start so we could beat the heat and do what was quite frankly the best hike/walk that I think I've ever done. It was awesome! Amazing views and incredible scenery. Not too mention that we were there on one of about five days in a year that it rains. Not much rain, but rain out there is rain! We then packed up and climbed back on to the bus for the trip back to Alice. After an awesome shower I headed back into the town for a brilliant five dollar meal at Annie's place. So that was that. What an experience, and I knew words couldn't justify it!

The next morning I hopped on the plane to Perth, watching some of the Blues Brothers, until my iPod threatened to run out of battery, and sleeping! It was a pretty chilled out time in Perth; going to an awesome Japanese called Taka, chilling at the beach and watching Carl Riseley at the Ellington.

Overall, a pretty awesome week. And on Monday there was Parklife. But it is now definitely bedtime. I hope this post quenches the thirst of many of you, until tomorrow though, I must say good night. And a massive thank you to Ben and his brother Gideon in Perth. Legends.

No comments:

Post a Comment